Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I believe in these boys



We live in a culture that is increasingly expecting boys to act like girls. I'm a little tired of it. I love the rough and tumble of my boys. I love how they get over things quickly and don't hold grudges. I love how they don't judge others or keep score or get jealous. Sure, when they are angry they have a tendency to charge like a rhino at each other. That can be stressful for a mother.

See, I was raised with two sisters and only one brother. I loved my brother and we played, but it wasn't like MORE than one boy. I remember once a wise woman (who had raised 4 boys) told me shortly after the birth of my second son, individually my sons are angels, but when together, they are complete devils. I laughed and thought surely my boys would never be devilish. Was I a new mother or what? My boys can shake the very ground of my faith as a mother. I pray as much for them as I do for a sustaining of my faith as a mother of boys.

Lately my belief in them has come from a determined belief that we are here on earth to learn from our mistakes. My faith in them has come from reading in the scriptures about the sons of Helamen. These boys went to war for their family. They fought and risked their lives for their family and freedom. What kind of young children do you think these boys were? Perhaps they didn't always sit reverently or act totally appropriate at all times. I find so much strength in the scriptures. There are so many examples of men that used to be boys, that became strong and honest men.

So, I say bring on the judgemental looks from teachers, store clerks, and friends, I refuse to doubt my boys. I will continue to believe in them. When they put their arms around me when I'm exhausted and tell me they will read to Heidi because they want me to go to bed, when they get up in the morning and finish all of their chores before school (including reading their scriptures...these boys are incredible), when they help me unload groceries without complaining, then hold open the door for me when I'm coming in with bags also. I believe in them.

Do they lose their tempers with each other and even sometimes with friends and neighbors? Yes. Do I lose my temper too? Yes. Let's face it, nobody is perfect...but Heavenly Father hasn't given up on me yet and I won't give up on them. I have thought and pondered on what I wanted to focus on in Primary with the children. It has come to me how much Jesus cherished children. He asked us to become like little children, meek and submissive. I believe in my boys when they are censored by their mother and humble themselves, when they apologize without a prompting. If only we as adults could be as meek, as forgiving, as humble and as sweet. I believe in the goodness of boys and men. I am okay with them acting like boys. I don't think life would be as interesting if everyone acted like girls. Let's face it, we wouldn't be living in a free country without boys that became good men and chose to fight for their freedom. All of the privileges we enjoy from this free country we can directly attribute to those brave and honest men that fought for the independence of this country. What will my boys have to fight for? I pray when the time comes they will fight for goodness, and still I continue to believe in these boys.

6 comments:

Kristine Watterson said...

I have ALWAYS felt that your boys were perfect, except for that one time that you and Jack went to Chicago...that was rough. LOL

Anonymous said...

I love your boys so much. They make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful. I love my girls, but I honestly wish I could have the experience of raising a boy. I bet they'll never give up on themselves because they have a mother like you who believes in them. That whole post is such a tribute and gift to them!

thepalmierifamily said...

Boys are wonderful! I've only got two, and one I'm married to. They just need to be loved for who they are.

Heidi said...

What a cute mom you are! You honestly inspire me! If I could only "grow up" to be 1/2 the mom you are! Thanks for being you and thanks for raising 2 great boys!

the holmans said...

You go girl!!! I agree with you, raising boys is an adventure. Coming from a family of girly girls. Its all new to me, but glorious. I am so glad our boys can be boys together. Forts, Bugs, Snakes, Weapons and all...