Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Evil Santa Goes Down

One of my favorite parts of being a mother is the all of the funny quirky things kids do to make me laugh.

A couple of years ago, my son Sam had a late birthday party and the boys kept sneaking into my storage room when they were having a nerf gun war. It just so happened that in that storage room I had a motorized figure of Santa (that my mom gave me years ago...it used to be hers). He was so adorable, and would dance and sing to Christmas carols. Well, the boys got it in their heads that Santa's eyes moved and it got them pretty jumpy. That night two years ago the Santa figurine aquired the name "Evil Santa" by Sam, Josh and all of their friends.

For two years these same boys have been intrigued by my haunted storage room and evil Santa, and they've regularly kept tabs on my Santa. Here we are two years later...the burning heap you see in my backyard...that is what I promised the boys two years ago. I told them that some day when Santa gets old and broken, I'll let them destroy Santa once and for all.

I have to say it was pretty entertaining...the boys had some pent up fear of Santa and had fun using the figurine as a baseball...and then as kindling. There is one very good lesson that I learned from my mom...and that is to laugh at life. So, mom, thanks for all of the good times. If I couldn't laugh at my kids, I don't think I'd enjoy them half as much. Happy 13th Birthday Sam...and goodbye forever Evil Santa.

5 comments:

thepalmierifamily said...

Awesome! They will always remember that.

Kristine Watterson said...

Your kids are so awesome!! I love our family :)

Anonymous said...

Hee! Aren't you guys worried, even a little bit, about the spirit of Evil Santa wandering the halls and stairways of your home with a mournful wail and glowing eyes? Just a thought.

the holmans said...

Boys... awwe you gotta love them, What a nice Mom you are. You just saved them thousands in therapy....

the holmans said...

BTW.... I was wondering if you were still alive, since you haven't Blogged for so long time... HA, HA,